My kingdom for 50p

I suppose this makes my loyal subjects glad I'm not really king of anything I'd wholesale for half a pound. And yet...

I'm a sucker for some iconoclasty. Really, some small symbols just make me all warm and fuzzy inside and even somewhat mushy eyed, at times. Of course I expect we all to feel something at the sight of powerful symbols, such as the Hakken Kreuz, but I'm talking about lesser, somtimes ignored or overlooked things. For example, just the mention of the word "Odeon" sends shivers down my spine. Why? Well, for starters, it has quite a deep and powerful sownd to it, doesn't it? Secondly, it's a very prominent theater in Leicester Square, which, despite what some will say about it being "the Armpit of London", is one of the places I hold dearest to me, along with Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square.

At this point, I'd like to mention that despite being as much of a Star Wars enthusiast, even the likeness of Darth Vader doesn't make me feel anything even comparable to the delightful thrill of the word "Odeon". And he's a Sith Lord!

But Odeon isn't what I'd like to mention today, especially because there's very little you can do with 50p around the whole Odeon theme. You could give it to a busker, if one can be found, though. What I'd like to say is that just out of the blue I got this huge craving for a 50p coin. Monetary facevalue or the represantation by means of currency of the United Kingdom not withstanding, the real reason for this is that, on the back of just about every 50p coin circulating today, you can find what I believe to be the most beautiful depiction of Britannia. And guess what, that'a another of those icons.

Pax vobiscum atque vale.

ArabianShark often wonders if his fixations are all healthy, but I won't let that become a fixation. I've enough of them already.

No comments: