Back at the movies

As some of you (I nearly typed "many of you", but I don't think there are many who actually read this blog to begin with) might know, I like cinema. I probably don't qualify as a "movie buff", but I enjoy watching a movie, both at home (even though my TV needs a serious replacement) and at the theater (even though it seems I can't get through a screening without telling someone to shut up these days). I enjoy not only watching, but also getting some insight on the work that goes into the movie, such as behind the scenes, interviews, gag reels and so on. So today let's talk about movies.

One thing I've wondered for quite some time is how does a movie come about it's rating. Ever since I was a very young infant I used to see what was on display at several theaters (there used to be a TV show that would list this, for theaters all over the country, even though many of the places spoken of sounded indeed very far away and totally foreign at the time). I recall noting every movie was tagged as "ages so-and-so and older" (we use that system as opposed to the MPAA's G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17, formerly X). I also wonder even today how is it that a movie might be suitable for a 12-year-old pre-teen but unsuitable for an 11-year-old pre-teen, but that's a moot point, seeing as I've had movies rated suitable for ages 12 and over (bit of a mouthful, compared to "PG-13", isn't it?) spoiled by very young children (think age 3 or 4) misbehaving. Enter This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

We could discuss this film extensively, but I choose to merely recommend it and take this opportunity to say the movie is slightly dated, as the MPAA now does allow other films to be quoted on appeal to refute a rating and demographical information regarding the reviewers is now made available to the general public. Nonetheless, it's a brilliant documentary, even more so that it forced a change (which, ironically, made it a period piece in the very short span of one year).

Pax vobiscum atque vale.

ArabianShark will now leave you with the quote of the day: When all is said and done, more has been said than done.

No comments: